Monday Morning Caddy - Australian Victory
Aussie Cam Smith Rallies for a Win
Coming off of an incredibly hot President’s Cup, 26 year old Cameron Smith is carrying that momentum over into an early win at the Sony Open this past weekend. Smith started Sunday 3 strokes back from leader, Brendan Steele, but played well and forced a playoff where he won on the first hole in sudden death. The tournament, in Hawaii, was a rainy mess on Sunday and it definitely had the feel of a “last man standing” type of tourney.
The win is Cameron Smith’s first individual victory on the PGA Tour, but he is a two-time Australian PGA Champion. We’re looking forward to seeing on what Smith does going forward. He’s a fun player to watch and all indications point toward a very promising PGA career.
Winner’s Bag: Cameron Smith at the Sony Open 2020
Cameron Smith is a Titleist tour player and rocks a full bag of Titleist golf clubs. Here’s the good news – most everything Smith used to win at the Sony Open is something that you can put in your bag as well.
- Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
- Driver: Titleist TS2 9.5 Degrees (UST Elements Platinum 6)
- Fairways: Titleist TS2 15 Degree 3 Wood
- Irons: Titleist U500 (4-9), Titleist T100 (PW)
- Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 (52, 56, 60 Degrees)
- Putter: Scotty Cameron by Titleist TFB 1.5 Teryllium
Remembering Pete Dye
Legendary golf course designer, Pete Dye, passed away last week at the age of 94. His unique style and influence as a modern golf course designer is one that is and feels incredibly historic. Dye brought something completely new and different to the design of golf courses, which most wouldn’t have thought possible. His designs, sprinkled across the United States and beyond, have a way of making even the best golfers doubt their skills. With the renaissance of golf course building quite likely behind us, we will likely never see another Pete Dye. Thanks for the gift of your amazing golf courses Pete.
There are over 100 Pete Dye-designed golf courses, but these are the top 5 according to Golf Digest:
- Kiawah Island – Kiawah Island, SC 1991 (#58)
- Teeth of the Dog – La Romana, Dominican Republic 1970 (#59)
- TPC Sawgrass (Players Stadium) – Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 1981 (#68)
- Whistling Straits - Haven, WI 1998 (#69)
- The Golf Club – New Albany, OH 1967 (#84)
New Clubs Landing Soon
It’s the most magical time of year for golfers! The 2020 club releases are going to start coming fast and furious so get ready to check out the newest club technology out available. Here’s a short list of what’s coming up. Don’t forget – every Austad’s Golf store is a Golf Digest Top 100 Fitter and we have a full selection of demos and shafts in every door. Stop by and check out the new clubs today.
- Cobra Speedzone – January 17th
- Titleist 2020 AV, Tour Soft & Velocity Golf Balls – 1/23
- Callaway Mavrik – January 24th
- Odyssey Stroke Lab TT Putters – January 30th
- TaylorMade SIM – February 7th
- Mizuno ST200, 2020 CLK & 566/566V Golf Balls – February 7th
Keep your eye on Austad’s social media and emails for updates!